Monday, January 23, 2012

The animal shaped snack phenomenon

I have this question and it's directed towards animal shaped foods, like Animal Crackers, or Goldfish, or Teddy Grahams. How is it that you taste so good, and what does you being shaped like an animal have to do with it? I can clearly see the pattern. Kids love Animal Crackers, and I could eat a giant carton of Goldfish in one sitting, but why? Is there something about humans that makes us enjoy eating the shapes of other animals? Is it like some kind of primal, 'we used to be hunter-gatherers so we like pretending to do that again' instinct? Is it all just in my head or does the food actually taste better when it's in an animal shape? I think we need to do some kind of test with blindfolded subjects. We'll make some normal Teddy Grahams, and then a batch where we skip the teddy shaping part. I'm not sure but I think the bear shaped pieces of graham will still taste better. If this is the case is it really that simple to invent a snack? Can I just take something that already exists and mold it into the form of a living creature and all the sudden have a snack time masterpiece? Could I take regular baked sweet potato chips, shape them into bunnies, and all of the sudden have children and adults all across the world munching on their new favorite SPB's (Sweet Potato Bunnies)? It seems like a long shot to me, but I think it would be a mistake to underestimate the power of the bunny. I don't know how, but it's all over the snack world. Someone please explain this phenomenon to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment